A memorial site that Olesa de Montserrat has dedicated to the 158 Habsburg loyalist soldiers from Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Portugal, Flanders, Holland and Catalonia who died in the town between 1706 and 1714 during the War of the Spanish Succession.
The commemorative monument is located at the corner formed by the streets Travessia Tetuan and Carrer Hospital, in the old town center, the site of the former hospital where some of the combatants died. On a marble slab at the foot of the monument is the inscription: Als defensors de la llibertat (“For the defenders of liberty”).
Olesa de Montserrat is a municipality rich in culture and tradition, located in the foothills of the mountain of Montserrat. Olesa de Montserrat is located in the north of the comarca (county) of Baix Llobregat, in the subcomarca of Montserratí, halfway between Barcelona and the Montserrat Monastery. The natural area of the municipality, with its beautiful and magnificent scenery, is bounded by the Llobregat river and the mountain chains of Sant Salvador de les Espases and Puigventós. Olesa’s roots are markedly agricultural; it is noted in particular for its cultivation of olives of the palomar or Olesan variety, native to the region, from which the famous Olesan oil is extracted.
CONTACT USCAL RAPISSA - CARRER AMPLE, 25 08640 OLESA DE MONTSERRAT
© 2017 TURISME D’OLESA