It is the last of the old city gates of Olesa that is still standing. Built in the late 16th century, it is located to the north of the old town center, at the intersection of the streets Carrer Santa Oliva, Carrer del Garraf and Carrer Creu Real. In 1675, it was erected over a chapel dedicated to Saint Olivia of Palermo. Since 1621, the feast day of Saint Olivia has been celebrated on June 10, by order of the Bishop of Barcelona. In 1664, Pope Alexander VII named her the patron saint of the town. The saint’s relics arrived in Olesa two years later and are preserved in the Parish Archive.
The current image of the saint is the work of the Olesan sculptor Francesc Fàbregas, who sculpted it in 1940, after the previous statue was burned during the Spanish Civil War.
Beside the gate, a park called Porxo de Santa Oliva has been created, providing a public area with a playground, a green space and a platform for dances and concerts, mainly for the Diada de Sant Jordi.
Olesa de Montserrat is a municipality rich in culture and tradition, located in the foothills of the mountain of Montserrat. Olesa de Montserrat is located in the north of the comarca (county) of Baix Llobregat, in the subcomarca of Montserratí, halfway between Barcelona and the Montserrat Monastery. The natural area of the municipality, with its beautiful and magnificent scenery, is bounded by the Llobregat river and the mountain chains of Sant Salvador de les Espases and Puigventós. Olesa’s roots are markedly agricultural; it is noted in particular for its cultivation of olives of the palomar or Olesan variety, native to the region, from which the famous Olesan oil is extracted.
CONTACT USCAL RAPISSA - CARRER AMPLE, 25 08640 OLESA DE MONTSERRAT
© 2017 TURISME D’OLESA